Ways To Use Alexa To Keep Your Place Governable
Ways To Use Amazon Alexa To Keep Your Place Governable
Written by: Sushma Patil
We all are in search of one or the other thing that makes our work easier without us putting any efforts. So, should we call this laziness? Or smartness? In either way, it is true. Sometimes you need to get lazy to live the smart life. Okay, let’s stop the philosophy part now. The world is trying to be automative. When it comes to home automation, we will think about Alexa because she is the one which is trending now and taking the world to one step forward. Amazon Alexa is a smart speaker who works as a personnel AI assistant and can also control over smart devices using itself as a home automation system. It has the power to control the lights and plugs and other devices in your home.
Alexa is very easy to set up, i.e. it is effortless to connect with the smart devices in your home and can control multiple devices at once on a single command. To do this, all you require is some Alexa devices (Amazon Echo Plus or Echo Show), smart bulbs like Philips Hue, connected plugs, smart home hubs and security cameras.
What exactly is Amazon Echo? Amazon Echo is a hands-free speaker device that can be controlled with the human voice. Adding on to that, it connects to the Alexa voice service and provides information, news, play music, weather and sports etc. it can read daily news for you and gives traffic reports. The best part about amazon echo device is that it is constantly evolving and being updated. This device acts like mini household artificial intelligence. It can control all other smart devices, and this can be controlled through your voice. It works well with lights, switches and thermostats. The device also has a sense of humour with the ability to tell the jokes.
Pros and Cons of Amazon Echo
Pros Of Amazon Echo
- It can control the lights, switches and thermostats.
- It answers questions provides information, news, play music, reports traffic and weather and also gives sports scores and schedules.
- The voice control hands-free convenience and can.
- Has an ability to recognize your voice even while playing the music.
- Has far-field voice recognition.
- It’s an excellent tool for doctors and disabled people.
- Echo also recognizes the specific voices (each member of the family maybe).
- It finds and plays your favourite music.
- It stores and keep your shopping list and allows you to add pieces of stuff to that list.
- The music can be paused, stopped or skipped through your voice control.
- The interesting part is that you can even control the volume with your voice.
- No subscription costs.
- Echo can also tell jokes to you.
Cons of Amazon Echo
- Echo speaks only one language- English.
- The sound performance is not that great.
- It does not have a display to show images and maps when compared with Siri.
- Cannot take multiple instructions in a single sentence.
- It is not portable since you need to keep it plugged in all the times.
- It doesn’t have its batteries.
- You need to spend money on wall switches, cameras and bulbs to connect the Amazon Echo to your smart devices.
- It won’t reply to complicated commands and opinions.
- Audio from the Echo cannot be sent through multiple Bluetooth devices.
How to Set-up the Amazon Alexa in your home
Now let’s see how to add, connect and control the lights and plugs of your smart home with Alexa:
Set up your devices in their ecosystems correctly. Install the Alexa skills which will get connected to your Amazon account directly. And also make sure your smart bulb, Philips Hue is connected to the Hue app. Now it’s the time to merge them with Alexa. For this, Go to Alexa app, tap DEVICES option on the bottom right of the screen and then press + button at the top right of the screen. Alexa will detect your devices.
It’s better to rename the devices name to avoid the confusions in case of connecting more than one devices to Alexa. To do that,
- Open the Alexa app and tap on DEVICES.
- Choose the type of the product from the screen such lights or plugs etc.
- Tap on the device and select the settings at the top right corner
- Then, tap to rename the device.
You can put multiple devices into one group if you want them to work together. For example, you can put all your first-floor lights into one group so that you can control multiple devices in a single command. To do this,
- Open the Alexa app and tap DEVICES.
- Press + button
- Tap on ‘add a group.’
- Then choose ‘Smart home group’ and give the devices name like first floor lights or leading lights which is easy for you to remember.
- Tap the devices you want from within the list.
After following all these steps, if Alexa is not able to detect your device, you can take further steps from Alexa’s troubleshooting checklist:
- Check if the device works with the Alexa product.
- Delete and Install Alexa skill.
- Check if your device and Alexa are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Turn off the devices and then reset.
- Update the router settings.
You may also like to know: